Welcome to Darwin Class
October 2019 - We have started our topic of Celebrations! Please scroll to the bottom for home learning ideas...
Welcome to our Darwin Class page! This is the space for everything related to our Reception class in Sampford Peverell C of E Primary School. My name is Miss Dillon and I am the Reception teacher and EYFS leader. Our Foundation Stage unit includes Darwin class and First Steps, our Nursery provision; for more information about First Steps, please see the tab on the website.
Our philosophy is for children to become enthusiastic, independent learners who love to come to school every day. To achieve this, we have a mixture of adult-guided activities, outdoor time and enhancements in our continuous provision, which the children access in freeflow throughout the day. Play is at the centre of all learning, as it is the way to achieve the best outcomes. Children love to play, whether that be using construction, role play, messy and sensory play, mark-making and beyond!
Please read the following for key information about Darwin class and routines:
* At the start of every new topic, this web page will update with a few suggestions of what you can choose to do at home to enrich the learning they have been doing in school (see the document below). Please check and have a go at the activities!
* Tapestry is the online platform where I share the learning and activities your child is doing at school. Please check Tapestry regularly; as well as it showing you what we’re studying and how your child is coming on, I also sometimes give suggestions for what to do to support them if they’re struggling. Please add observations of your own; these can be important occasions, fun days out and most of all, any learning they do at home.
* Darwin have PE on a Wednesday. Please ensure a full PE kit, including trainers or plimsolls, is in school all week. It needs to be taken home at the end of every half-term to be washed and returned in the first week back. Please note that jewellery of any kind is not permitted.
* Please ensure children have healthy lunches if they have a packed-lunch. We have free fruit and vegetables available to the children daily in the EYFS. We encourage children to drink water throughout the day so they can have a water bottle in the classroom. Squash is permitted at lunch times in packed lunch boxes.
* Reading books are not sent out to children until they are secure enough with their Set 1 RWI sounds and are able to securely sound out and blend. However, the school expectation is 5 reads a week. In Reception this will initially be you reading to your child, but this will become your child reading to you. Phonics tasks will also be set, with the first term mostly being the speed sounds handwriting books. Please complete this weekly and keep it in their book bag.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this information; let me know if you have any questions!