Welcome to Darwin Class
Welcome to our Darwin Class page! This is the space for everything related to our Reception class at Sampford Peverell C of E Primary School. My name is Miss Dillon and I am the Reception teacher and EYFS lead. Our Foundation Stage unit includes Darwin class and First Steps, our Nursery provision; for more information about First Steps, please see the tab on the website.
Our philosophy is for children to become enthusiastic, independent learners who love to come to school every day. To achieve this, we have a mixture of adult-guided activities, outdoor time and enhancements in our continuous provision, which the children access in freeflow throughout the day. Play is at the centre of all learning, as it is the way to achieve the best outcomes. Children love to play, whether that be using construction, role play, messy and sensory play, mark-making and beyond!
Please read the following for key information about Darwin class and routines:
* At the start of every half-term, this web page will update with a few suggestions of what you can choose to do at home to enrich the learning they have been doing in school for the various topics we cover (see the document above). Please check and have a go at the activities!
* Tapestry is the online platform where I share the learning and activities your child is doing at school. Please check Tapestry regularly; as well as it showing you what we’re studying and how your child is coming on, I also sometimes give suggestions for what to do to support them if they’re struggling. Please add observations of your own; these can be important occasions, fun days out and most of all, any learning they do at home.
* Darwin have PE on a Monday (cricket coaching) and a Wednesday. While we usually have PE kits kept on pegs and changed into during the school day, due to the Covid-19 guidelines, we now ask that your child come to school on a Wednesday dressed in full PE kit. As we head towards warmer weather, please be mindful to ensure they are wearing appropriate PE kit, as they have to stay in it all day. We still ask that all items are named. The PE kit list is:
- Shorts or jogging bottoms
- Plain blue t-shirt (optionally embroidered with the school logo)
- Trainers or plimsolls
- Optional school jumper/fleece/sports jumper for outdoor PE
* Please ensure children have healthy lunches if they have a packed-lunch. We have free fruit, vegetables and milk available to the children daily in the EYFS. We encourage children to drink water throughout the day so they must have a water bottle in the classroom.
* There is a school reward system in place to encourage every child to get their 5 reads weekly, so please read together and fill in their reading diary!
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this information; let me know if you have any questions!